Pages

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Welcome Baby Case.

Breaking the News When your dad and I decided it was time that our family became a threesome we couldn't be more excited! We found out that you were coming just before Thanksgiving and I was happier than a kid chasing an ice-cream truck. To break the news to your dad I put some baby shoes that I had bought weeks ago (specifically for this cause) on his pillow. When he found them he was instantly thrilled. We were so excited that we couldn't wait to tell our families. The Davis' were called and when the Schwieders got together for Thanksgiving dinner grandma had arranged for some small gift giving. We wrapped-up the baby shoes in a cute little box and put Scotts name on. When he opened it he joyfully exclaimed "Baby Shoes?! Are you trying to tell me something?!" Within seconds he had the attention of everyone in the room and we were soon swamped with exclamations of excitement and congratulations. We happily announced that you were due to come July 24th.
Pregnant Days It was such a miracle to know that you were getting ready to join our family. Two of my favorite moments were the ultrasounds where we got a glimpse of you for the first times. You were so wiggly and cute. I liked how the ultrasound technician kept calling you "little turkey". We couldn't be happier when we discovered that a baby boy would be starting off our little family. The moment we found out, you were named Case. Case is a name we had picked out for you over a year ago while Scott and I were riding a Case combine together for the harvest. "Case", we decided, "would be a really good name for a baby boy". It stuck. We considered Casey and Cason, but preferred simply that you be called Case. I loved it when I could start feeling you wiggle and kick inside of me. You loved "penthouse parties" and we joked that you were so happy in there that you would never want to come out. One time when I went in for a doctor visit and they heard your fast heartbeat and movements the nurse said that you were "a man with a mission". To your fathers pleasure the number one food I craved when pregnant with you was steak (what a carnivore you were!). Close follow-ups were peaches and cinnamon rolls. I loved to sing "Come Thou Fount" to you in German and you seemed to fancy country music (especially Taylor Swift) which we got a real kick out of.
Birth Story Once pregnancy neared toward the end Scott, the Doctor and I had made the decision for multiple reasons that if you didn't come on your own before July 24th that you would be induced. As the date neared it still seemed like you had no intention of giving up your "penthouse parties". On Tuesday, July 23rd I woke up feeling very ill and even threw-up. We were concerned that something might be wrong so Scott stayed home from work to rest with me while we waited for the Doctor to respond to our phone calls. Finally, later that afternoon we were instructed to go get checked-out at the hospital. Things looked fine and it turns out that I had been in labor for over a day! However, things (you) still weren't really moving along. That is when, along with the doctor, we decided to stay at the hospital and use medication to help things progress. After twelve hours of labor, with only "half" an epidural, and your daddy trying to stay awake through the wee hours, you were born at 4:39 in the morning on July 24th. A pioneer baby. You had the cord around your neck when you came, but it didn't cause any problems and you were born nice and healthy. 7 pounds 14 ounces and 21 inches long. Perfect. I was so excited for you to come that I hardly minded the pain when it came time to push and was so incredibly elated at the prospect of meeting you. After you were cleaned up a bit your daddy got to hold you and then it was my turn. It was love at first sight, or rather even before. We were already crazy about you. What a miracle and what a blessing you were/are to us. We knew in that moment that our lives would never be the same, and we couldn't be happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment